That's why I came across this recipe I couldn't resist. I have made a few changes to the original recipe to suit my family's taste. (you can find the original here)
|Creamy Avocado Chicken Enchiladas|
Creamy Avocado Sauce Ingredients:2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can diced green chilies
2 California avocados, peeled and pitted
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice of one lime
2 Tbsp. olive oil
8-10 flour tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (I usually boil the chicken and then shred it)
2-3 cups Shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (Sometimes I combine shredded Mozzarella and Cheddar)
optional garnish: fresh cilantro, sour cream, and/or shredded cheese
DirectionsPreheat oven to 375F.
Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish.
Start by making the Creamy Avocado Sauce:1. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the flour, whisking until golden and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Slowly whisk the broth into the flour mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the sour cream, cumin, salt, garlic powder and pepper, whisking if necessary to remove any lumps.
4. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to a blender. Add chilies, avocados, cilantro and lime juice, and pulse until smooth and well-blended. (Be very careful blending hot liquids — the heat will expand! So be sure to remove the lid occasionally so that the heat can escape.) Season with additional salt or pepper if needed.
Assemble the Enchilada's
2. layer on some shredded chicken and cheese.
3. Spread a tablespoon or two of the avocado sauce down the middle of the tortilla.Carefully roll the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish.
4. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
5. Drizzle the top with about half of the remaining avocado cream sauce and cheese then bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until tortillas are heated through and begin to harden.
5. Remove from the oven, then serve individual enchiladas drizzled with the remainder of the avocado cream sauce. You can also garnish with additional cilantro, cheese, and/or sour cream.